BOOST WIKI | RecentChanges | Preferences | Page List | Links List
This page is for collecting useful information and links to existing practice in the field of concurrent programming.
Future Boost.Threads features
Ion Gaztaņaga implemented the threader and joiner features of Kevlin Henneys outline for a future C++ threading library. The code can be downloaded at the Boost sandbox on Sourceforge. Henneys paper is this: http://www.two-sdg.demon.co.uk/curbralan/papers/accu/MoreC++Threading.pdf
- /RWLocks (Reader-Writer Locks)
This is a link to a Page set up by Matt Hurd, created in an effort to move on with boost thread.
The content should really belong in this wiki, but we did not manage this so far. Thus the link.
Boost Thread Rework
Additional Synchronization Primitives
List of synchronization primitives which have been mentioned on the Boost mailing list as being possibly useful for Boost.Threads.
- /Atomic operations on Multiprocessor architectures
- /MultiLocks (Locking multiple primitives atomically)
- /Strong? Guarantees on locking behavior
Other concurrent programming constructs/patterns
- Message Queues
- High level MPI wrappers
- Cross-platform implementation of rather effective Win32 thread pooling/QueueUserWorkItem?/IOCompletionPort? idioms.
Concurrent Programming Issues
- Priority Inversion
- Priority Inheritance Protocols Paper describing techniques for avoiding priority inversion and starvation when locks are held by low priority threads.
- Realtime Operating Systems (RTOSes)
- Thread Scheduling
Links to existing libraries & specifications
- Boost.Threads - Current documentation and implementation for Boost.Threads
- ACE - The Adaptive Communication Environment OO, cross platform toolkit for communications software, including multiplatform implementations of synchronization primitives.
- ZThreads Portable, Object-Oriented C++ Thread Library.
- Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6 Definitions for POSIX functions, including the phtreads library. All current pthread_*** functions described here. Good resource for descriptions of primitives, but interface is C based.
- Rogue Wave Threads Module Part of their SourcePro? product, a commerical cross-platform library similar to ACE or pthreads. Notable inclusions include FIFOMutex, Semaphores (weak form), and a thread cancellation model similar to phtreads
- PTypes Has a minimal but quite useful and easy to use multithreading implementation.
Disclaimer: This site not officially maintained by Boost Developers